VinFast Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Absolutely. Anything that isn't "perfect" or up to the standards of a car that price will always be a worry to me. The battery lease and the warranty would ease my worries a bit.

I'm hoping that considering I reserved back in August by the time I get my V8 they would have figured shit out.. I'm also hoping they lower the prices BC the cars are not worth the price they're selling them for but I'm not as hopeful.

· Registered
VinFirst.....VF8 converted to an order
268 Posts
There is a lot of prejudice against the brand.
in Vietnam there sure is and that has created a bunch of trolls who post around. In the US, the tide certainly has changed due to the CE and other 'changes'. I'm sticking with my reservation/order for now. Signed up for a 2nd test drive in Calif; hopefully a bigger better track than the first one.

· Registered
268 Posts
Are you concerned about what depreciation might be like
.....that would be concern because? Somebody like me who keeps autos for the term of the loan or 7 years, not sure deprecation ever enters my thinking. Worry about tradein value I guess? After 7 years not a whole lot to be relevant.

· Registered
100 Posts
in Vietnam there sure is and that has created a bunch of trolls who post around. In the US, the tide certainly has changed due to the CE and other 'changes'. I'm sticking with my reservation/order for now. Signed up for a 2nd test drive in Calif; hopefully a bigger better track than the first one.
I hope you guys actually get to drive on the roads. It's too late in the game for them to still be offering parking lot test drives lol.

· Registered
268 Posts
I hope you guys actually get to drive in the roads
yeah, I don't think that is happening until they have test drives at the showrooms. This one coming up, no doubt, will be the same track setup as before. Which, really doesn't tell you anything Even the 'launch' part is way way way too short before you hit the breaking area. But, it is something to do on a weekend and I'll have a chance to fish for answers. Tho usually the folks working the event know next to nothing.

· Registered
100 Posts
yeah, I don't think that is happening until they have test drives at the showrooms. This one coming up, no doubt, will be the same track setup as before. Which, really doesn't tell you anything Even the 'launch' part is way way way too short before you hit the breaking area. But, it is something to do on a weekend and I'll have a chance to fish for answers. Tho usually the folks working the event know next to nothing.
I hope you're wrong but its probably going to be the case. How are they going to handle the sales process when a dealership is within a mall? Anyways that's a problem we want vs what we have right now. Be sure to keep us updated!

· Registered
268 Posts
How are they going to handle the sales process when a dealership is within a mall?
my understanding is showrooms won't be to actually do the selling paperwork. That all will be done via web and phone call with an 'advisor'. So almost a web order, but not quite...I guess?.

I've been told 'soon' there will be test drives via the showrooms, which means ON THE ROADS ie a real test drive.

· Registered
34 Posts
Our $200 are anyway in the ditch because of the purchase agreement. so yeah - no harm done by keeping it open. But our main focus will shift away from the VF9 into direction of other 7seater SUVs (especially the R1S) even if the price difference is steep…
I am looking at the Volvo EX90 for my family. We are not in a hurry so this could work. I have never been a Volvo guy but it’s getting great looks even the pre-production stuff. I have the R1T and my wife wanted something she could get in and out of easier for her ride. She considered the R1S but when she realized it is exactly like my R1T from b-pillar forward she realized she didn’t like the egress as it sits too high without running boards.

I am still keeping the VF9 reservation because you never know what will happen and it doesn’t hurt. Especially because I converted also.

· Registered
144 Posts
I am looking at the Volvo EX90 for my family. We are not in a hurry so this could work. I have never been a Volvo guy but it’s getting great looks even the pre-production stuff. I have the R1T and my wife wanted something she could get in and out of easier for her ride. She considered the R1S but when she realized it is exactly like my R1T from b-pillar forward she realized she didn’t like the egress as it sits too high without running boards.

I am still keeping the VF9 reservation because you never know what will happen and it doesn’t hurt. Especially because I converted also.
Yes, the EX90 is one we consider as well! We’re also waiting and hoping that Hyundai does something in the 7seater EC category in the near future. The look of the concept of the Kia EV9 we don’t like (but its a concept and concept cars are looking sometimes a lot different from production).

The only thing we don’t like with the R1S so far: the tailgate. In my opinion a tailgate is a bad idea for a SUV because it makes it hard (especially for smaller people) to grab stuff from the trunk.

The thing with the running boards we haven’t thought about so far. 🤔

· Registered
34 Posts
Yes, the EX90 is one we consider as well! We’re also waiting and hoping that Hyundai does something in the 7seater EC category in the near future. The look of the concept of the Kia EV9 we don’t like (but its a concept and concept cars are looking sometimes a lot different from production).

The only thing we don’t like with the R1S so far: the tailgate. In my opinion a tailgate is a bad idea for a SUV because it makes it hard (especially for smaller people) to grab stuff from the trunk.

The thing with the running boards we haven’t thought about so far. 🤔
Agreed. I had a Hyundai Santa Cruz for a hot minute and loved the driving features. Also the ioniq is just awesome. I think a 7 passenger from Hyundai would be a winner.

· Registered
100 Posts
You guys see the updated Tesla prices?

Not sure if anyone here is a Tesla fan but they've drop significantly.

If they remain at this price Vinfast is going to have to respond IMO. Drop the prices Vinfast! Lol

Of course, checking out the Vinfast Facebook group people are still arguing that Vinfast is the better buy. That really applies to people who want the VF9 and who got a Vinfirst reservation. Anyone outside of that is probably see the Tesla as a better buy. Curious to see what comes out of this.

Attachments

· Registered
144 Posts
You guys see the updated Tesla prices?

If they remain at this price Vinfast is going to have to respond IMO. Drop the prices Vinfast! Lol

Of course, checking out the Vinfast Facebook group people are still arguing that Vinfast is the better buy. That really applies to people who want the VF9 and who got a Vinfirst reservation. Anyone outside of that is probably see the Tesla as a better buy. Curious to see what comes out of this.
Agree - VF and others as well will need to think about their pricing twice with this move.

Tesla seems to feel the pressure by the legacy manufacturers as they close more and more the gap by introducing new EVs to the market. Tesla is aware of losing it’s unique selling proposition and they switch their strategy to defending market share - otherwise they wouldn’t cut prices as they’re no Samaritans (and their boss isn’t helpful either with his current antics).

This is a good thing for the individual EV consumer and the EV market as a whole because it lowers the hurdle to get an EV instead of ICE.

· Registered
100 Posts
This is a good thing for the individual EV consumer and the EV market as a whole because it lowers the hurdle to get an EV instead of ICE.
1000%. I'm also curious to know if this prince drop applies to the Asian markets (outside of China, specifically the Vietnam market). If they're not affected by the price drop I wonder if Vinfast will even entertain a price drop in retaliation. I guess a significant drop in reservations will be the deciding factor.

· Registered
268 Posts
Y by 20%. I placed an order Thursday night. Will be canceling my vinfast 'order' and losing the deposit since I converted. Oh well. The CE trim just did it in for me when all 999 were of that trim. And the lack of communication.

· Registered
100 Posts
Oh shit! I really thought you were going to hang on but I get it. The price makes sense. They haven't updated the federal EV incentive in Canada so not sure what qualifies and what doesn't so I'm going to wait but Tesla is looking good right now.

Also, looks like a moderator has set up a 'megathread' in the official Vinfast forum and they're posting videos of the positive reviews. I wonder if they'll post the one that people are ACTUALLY talking about.. or @SHale, maybe you should? Lmao

· Registered
268 Posts
They haven't updated the federal EV incentive in Canada
I have to take Tesla's word that in the US the price of the car does NOT include 'software' upgrades. Because the enhanced autopilot is $6k and that would put the 5 seat Y over the law CAP of $55k. So, I say it is iffy at best, but I'll find out in like 2024 if I get it.
Otherwise, the reduced price for the Y was enough for me to jump and kiss my vinfast $200 bye bye. I'll still be paying around $15k more than the OTD on the my VF8 was going to be. Oh well.

· Registered
100 Posts
Yeah but at least you're getting a vehicle from a company that has been doing it for a while now. I've also heard their customer service and tech support is actually decent.

That's the biggest worry for me now. After sale support. The only repair place that I've heard of that they plan to start off with here will be in Vancouver (west coast)..imagine having to ship your car out to have them work on it? Lol I'm sure it won't be that dramatic but still. It's the amount of unknowns that is crazy.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts