VinFast Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
VinFirst.....VF8 converted to an order
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my test drive. It was in a VF8 Plus late date preproduction vehicle. Almost nice track with 2 launches and some salom. This track didn't have the silly road bumps ala the Canada test track did. Customers got to do 2 laps and then the 'professional' driver did a lap. And they weren't overselling the 'professional' part. Mine was Terry Labonte a 2 time NASCAR champion (retired); was quite amazing. Oh, did I add it was raining the entire time? :ROFLMAO:
VF8 has very nice launch; tires did not break loose in the rain. Traction is very very nice (in the wet). The lap with the prof driver was wild. My laps were 'ok' since wasn't familiar with the vehicle or the track.

Didn't learn a lot new. Staff seemed to think not all 999 on the way are the City Edition; they seem to feel some were not. Idk, corporate said all were. So, that means January for those near the front of the queue.

One thing new is the showroom locations in calif will have test drives 'soon'; I'm guess once the 999 arrive. That would be simpler than going to an 'event', tho for me the event was very near to the San Mateo showroom.

I'll most likely do one of them too; because there is no shortcutting have a vehicle out of the streets/highway.....

· Registered
144 Posts
Just got back from my test drive. It was in a VF8 Plus late date preproduction vehicle. Almost nice track with 2 launches and some salom. This track didn't have the silly road bumps ala the Canada test track did. Customers got to do 2 laps and then the 'professional' driver did a lap. And they weren't overselling the 'professional' part. Mine was Terry Labonte a 2 time NASCAR champion (retired); was quite amazing. Oh, did I add it was raining the entire time? :ROFLMAO:
VF8 has very nice launch; tires did not break loose in the rain. Traction is very very nice (in the wet). The lap with the prof driver was wild. My laps were 'ok' since wasn't familiar with the vehicle or the track.

Didn't learn a lot new. Staff seemed to think not all 999 on the way are the City Edition; they seem to feel some were not. Idk, corporate said all were. So, that means January for those near the front of the queue.

One thing new is the showroom locations in calif will have test drives 'soon'; I'm guess once the 999 arrive. That would be simpler than going to an 'event', tho for me the event was very near to the San Mateo showroom.

I'll most likely do one of them too; because there is no shortcutting have a vehicle out of the streets/highway.....
Thanks for keeping us informed! 👍
For me it’s mind-boggling that obviously nowhere (neither in Canada nor on California) the people hired for these events are getting a thorough briefing in advance. It looks really unprofessional that potential customers ask questions and nobody has tangible answers…

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
potential customers ask questions and nobody has tangible answers…
well, they are a new company that isn't based in the US. Almost all the US based employees are 'new'. And these events it seems like they temp hire warm bodies. they were all super helpful and customer facing as one would expect; food drink (in the rain) and all that.
One small item I learned was the parking break IS automatic both ways; even the prof driver wasn't sure until I tested it. There is also a manual button. A small thing that was driving me nuts....

these things are really PR events, so you get what you pay for (so to speak). the nearby showroom staff were there, but rest for temp hires I think.

Still bummed the first 999 are not the model we know about; kinda was hoping for a new car santa gift. 😕 Guess it will be January or later since it takes 'weeks' for the ship to get here from Vietnam.

· Registered
12 Posts
thx! Overall impression aside from handling?
Overall I think, it's a great deal and value for money for existing reservation holders.
I don't drive an electric car, but based on my test drive of Mach-E , I will rate it better experience than Mach-E
The cameras not working confirms there may be some glitches initially which we may see v/s other established EV makers (T), but I am satisfied with the overall package from looks, comfort and drive perspective.

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cameras not working confirms there may be some glitches
the cameras were working in my VF8 test drive. didn't spend much time on the screen or poking around. Wasn't until my 2nd lap I even noticed the HUD. I wondered how much it would be in 'view' and how one could not focus on it. It's a really great setup; unless you are looking for the HUD, it doesn't bother you.

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i hope to see terry labonte drives the vf8 in the rain would be nice !!!
When I was waiting my turn I watched others driving. One was driving totally crazy fast. I thought a customer was driving and boy were they brave. Well, it was one of the professional drivers. 😱😳

· Registered
144 Posts

Here's a most common problem with the VF EVs and a quick solution to solve it, especially for those of us that do not live in California. Click the link...
These are exactly the kind videos I‘m waiting for…

These issues - especially the red message ”Battery failure” (even if it would be “only” the normal 12V battery) - is exactly what i’m worried about with a company who is new on the market and has no real service network in the US.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts