VinFast Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve read statistics that EPA provides lower range numbers than WLTP
for most cars, but I didn’t found an explanation for why this is.

Therefore: in which regards is EPA stricter than WLTP?
I think the EPA testing is stricter on terms for determining the eMPG estimates.

However, they are showing on website the WLTP range which will be about 30 or 40 miles difference or they already did the conversion and just left the WLTP mileage on their but if the car is rated 292 WLTP that means it will be around 260 EPA which means I might not be able to get this vehicle or just wait a little longer to go electric.

·
Registered
22 Posts
that kinda sucks as I was going for the larger battery, but I guess longer wait is better in my case. Still, want a test drive in a production unit sooner vs later.......Saying 'fall' (which matches what San Mateo dealership said) is a bit too vague for me.
@ SHale - "...I was going for the larger battery..." - I would suggest you call Vinfast directly and ask them about the option of getting the smaller battery car earlier then swap the smaller battery out of your car for the larger battery when it becomes available in 2023. I got a very interesting response and I'd be curious to see what they tell you about that approach.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve read statistics that EPA provides lower range numbers than WLTP
for most cars, but I didn’t found an explanation for why this is.

Therefore: in which regards is EPA stricter than WLTP?
EPA test are more accurate and done by doing real word driving habits. I think the WLTP test are 80-90% accurate and probably done on a machine like a dyno. Here is a link:

EV Range Testing Explained

·
Registered
VinFirst.....VF8 converted to an order
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I got a very interesting response and I'd be curious to see what they tell you
just heard back from an inside salesperson. NO way, Jose. Locked in to battery size. oh well. I'm still undecided which way to go. I don't =really= need the extra range....but.....nice to have....Hum

·
Registered
67 Posts
just heard back from an inside salesperson. NO way, Jose. Locked in to battery size. oh well. I'm still undecided which way to go. I don't =really= need the extra range....but.....nice to have....Hum
I only would opt for the smaller battery if i’m 100% sure that I operate the car only in vicinity of my home (daily commute, groceries, etc) and don’t intend to do any roadtrip with it. Because based on the EV roadtrip videos I saw on youtube I’ve learned for me that 30 or even 20 mi more will give you a lot more of flexibility for choosing the best (= fastest or at least reliably working) charging station. Hopefully in one to two years this won’t be an issue any more - but who knows…

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
if i’m 100% sure that I operate the car only in vicinity of my home (daily commute, groceries, etc) and don’t intend to do any roadtrip with it.
that is me. My daily commute is 25 miles. Weekends don't drive too much more than that. AND I never plan on doing public charging. Well, maybe just to test it out. Otherwise all of my charging will be at home. For the time being the 'other' ie the wife's ride is an ICE SUV. (y)

·
Registered
67 Posts
that is me. My daily commute is 25 miles. Weekends don't drive too much more than that. AND I never plan on doing public charging. Well, maybe just to test it out. Otherwise all of my charging will be at home. For the time being the 'other' ie the wife's ride is an ICE SUV. (y)
well - then the smaller one seems to be a good choice if you desire a delivery asap

I’m curious who will be the first one here to own a VF…

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
well - then the smaller one seems to be a good choice if you desire a delivery asap
that's what I have to decide. The range difference between the 2 batteries is like 30 miles or something. That kinda makes the decision easy: get vehicle faster, pay less money. (y)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
as of today my reservation is once again displaying. Only difference instead of a cancel 'button' one must call vinfast to cancel a reservation. No other change as far as I can tell.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts